When I started the “Nine reasons” series of posts, I had planned a single Letterman top-ten style “silly” reason. I’d forgotten, however, that the general NetSci audience is a clever bunch, so I was a little bit disappointed (but also impressed) when I posted “Reason 1″, and Mason Porter saw that one coming a mile away. In a comment, he noted
No Letterman-style ‘Top Ten’ list in the traditional reverse order? And one or two of the reasons should be snarky, of course. E.g. ‘Reason number 5: “Three words: Zachary Karate Club” ‘
Beating me to the punch (and with a better joke).
My original silly reason was
Petter and I paid for everything using my mom’s credit card, so we
need your registration money or I’ll be grounded for NetSci 2014.
But I kind of revealed that one in my answer to Mason, so I’ve had to come up with new material.
Reason 7: Ok, the snarky/silly reasons.
Here’s what I have so far – the jokes are pretty weak, so please forgive me.
- First rule of NetSci. Submit an abstract to NetSci.
- Second rule of NetSci. SUBMIT an abstract to NetSci.
- Third rule of NetSci: If someone says “stop” or goes limp, taps out the talk is over.
- Fourth rule of NetSci: Only approximately one person to a talk.
- Fifth rule of NetSci: One talk at a time (unless it’s a parallel session).
- Sixth rule of NetSci: Wear a shirts, and shoes.
- Seventh rule of NetSci: Talk will stay strictly within time limits.
- Eighth rule of NetSci: If this is your first NetSci, you HAVE to talk.
Another good reason to go is that on the first day of a NetSci conference, Laszlo can’t deny any request. (But some day, and that day may never come, he may call upon you to do a service for him. But until that day, consider his justice a gift on the first day of NetSci).
Stay tuned for the remaining two (serious) reasons – and don’t forget to check out the other reasons to visit NetSci 2013.
- Reason 1. The venue
- Reason 2. The NetSci school
- Reason 3. Brand new types of talks
- Reason 4. Publisher session
- Reason 5. The superb list of satellite workshops
- Reason 6. The NetSci Dinner